The region known as the North Peace has always been rich in oil and gas reserves. In 1952 oil and gas was discovered in Fort St. John and the immediate vicinity, officially establishing Fort St. John as the oil and gas capital of B.C. In 1957 the refinery in Taylor, BC (14 km south of Fort St. Joh...
Fort St. John North Peace Museum
The Fort St. John North Peace Museum tells the story of the Fort St. John region from First Nations' settlements to the oil and gas industries of today.
Come explore a tepee, trapper’s cabin, blacksmith’s shop, 1921 school room, 1930s dentist office, missionary chapel, 1930 Outpost Hospital room, Finch’s General Store, British Columbia Police Barracks, furnished rooms of a pioneer home, post office, newspaper office, Alaska Highway exhibit, photographs, artefacts, and more!
The Fort St. John North Peace Museum and North Peace Historical Society are dedicated to the collection, preservation, storage and display of items relating to the history of the North Peace River area for the education and enjoyment of present and future generations.The museum is very pleased to host tours when contacted in advance.
Learn more about what's going on behind the scenes at the museum by visiting our blog.
To learn more about the history of the Peace Region in British Columbia and Alberta through local museums, go to the Spirit of the Peace Museums Network website.
Did you know?
The Beaver and Cree First Nations made a peace settlement in 1782 on the banks of the Tsadu River. The river was then renamed Unchaga, which means Peace in Cree. Visit us and learn more about First Nations and the fur trade.
The 136 foot high oil derrick outside of the Museum is a city landmark.
The Museum has the quilt made by Anne Young, the first RN in the North Peace, which bears the names of 99 babies she delivered. She delivered between 300 and 400 babies sometimes travelling to homesteads on horseback through temperatures of -70˚F!
Charles Bedeaux spent $250,00 to try and drive across Northern British Columbia in 1934 with his wife, mistress, movie crew, 47 staff, five Citroën half tracks, and 130 horses to carry supplies. Come see photographs of this expedition.